Thursday, August 27, 2015

Meet the Teacher Day

There is not much I love more than seeing everyone's back to school posts on social media.  I love it. 

Cal's first day is today....cue the tears....! But not really! He is so ready and is now excited...however, last week, on meet the teacher day, he was less than excited.


 Meet the teacher was from 1-3; you could drop in whenever you wanted.  My mom offered to keep Andy, which turned out to be sooooo nice.  I had no idea Cal would react the way he did. 

Cal is my go with the flow kid.  He's always happy.  He's rarely nervous.  He just kind of goes.  He's easy and easily happy, if that makes sense. 

After we dropped Andy off, we were driving to school and we were talking about meeting his new teachers.  He asked me what kind of things they would ask him.  We talked about it some questions they might ask and then he said, "will you be by me the whole time?" I assured him I would.  And I felt a little lump in my throat.

We got to school and I parked.  As Cal got out, he looked at me and tears escaped down his face.  Woah.  That is not Cal.  He didn't cry when he went to any preschool...ever.

I bent down and asked him what was wrong.  He said, "I guess I am just feeling nervous." I told him it was more than okay to feel nervous! What a big school! And how exciting it will be to meet new friends and see a new classroom! As I was talking, we started walking toward the school.  His hand in mine, we made our way down the looooong kindergarten hallway.  Of course, Cal's class was the very last one.  His sweet little hand tightened his grip on my hand the closer we got.

His assistant teacher greeted us at the door and said she had heard all about Cal and that she was so excited to meet him.  She sat on the edge of the desk and pulled him in to a big hug.  My heart swelled.  And then Cal looked up from her embrace and his little bottom lip was jutting out and a big fat tear slipped down his cheek.  I wanted to melt into the floor.

She knew just what to say though-- she immediately told him how much she loves playing football with her kids and wondered if he would ever play with her.  Amen- this woman is going to heaven.

We walked over and found Cal's spot at the table.  He was not crying any more, and was working on a full smile (the full smile came when he saw Jackson behind him-- he was so upset when we got there that he didn't even realize Jackson was there for about 10 solid minutes!).  


And then he looked down and realized his name plate said "Calvin." The assistant quickly came over and wrote CAL on it, but he first said, "Oh, man! My thing says Calvina on it!" Which is what my brother calls him...and he HATES it. I was cracking up at this point.  

His friend Laynie got there and they were super excited to see they were next to each other at their table- yay!

We met the teacher and spent some time exploring the classroom. Once he was back to being smiling Cal, we headed out to the hall way.  There was a big bulletin board saying "Bouncing into Kindergarten!" with all of the class names written on little beach balls.  Again, his said Calvin, but he was okay with that...  (this one actually says Calvin Williamson IV....which is pretty much more embarrassing than just Calvin....hahaha)



We went down to visit the gym and the cafeteria, because, well, duh. And we wondered around a little bit more. By the time we left, CalBoy was smiling and said he was excited about it.  Thank you, Lord!
Bring on Kindergarten!!!!!


 

No comments:

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS