Friday, April 30, 2010

Family Ties

My family tree is an interesting one...

My dad's mom, Doris

My mom's dad, Bruce serving in WWII


My mom's parents (LOVE this picture of them!):

My dad's parents

My mom's mom passed away from breast cancer before I was born. My dad's dad also passed away (from a heart attack) before I was born.

My (remaining) Grandfather was so devastated after his wife died that he sort of shut himself down and wouldn't talk to anyone-- it was really hard on my mom to watch him be so upset. I love how in the picture of them above you can almost feel the love he has for her-- just look at how he looks at her......sigh!

When my brother was born in 1978, it brought my Granma and Granpa to town to see him. They started spending some time together and found happiness again in each other's company. They both had experienced a painful loss and that common factor was something that bonded them. For the first time in a long time, they were both smiling and happy.
This picture was taken right before I was born... they brought McDonald's in for my brother who was obsessed with BeeBies (french fries!)

Long story short, they fell in love, and waited until after I was born in September, 1980 and got married in October! In Spanish class in high school, we had to create a family tree with the limbs that were labeled (in Spanish)...my teacher could not understand that MY family tree actually grew together!

If you want to get technical about it all, my mom and dad are step-brother and sister-- how gross is that? haha

I love old pictures and after reading Lauren's post on her Happily Nested blog, I really want to do something with all of these pictures!


No comments:

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS