Saturday, November 21, 2009

JUST what I needed!

I have been stressing out about not having Cal on a schedule. He is 9 weeks old, not sleeping through the night, is unpredictable in his napping, and wants to eat all the time. Am I the world's worst mom??

Usually, when I talk to other moms about this, they suggest this book, or that philosophy...I always look into them, but really can't see me being THAT structured-- don't get me wrong: I want a schedule, but one where he can nap wherever we are, not in a pitch black nursery with whale songs playing (okay, that was an exaggeration....), but still, I want him to be able to be flexible enough to be able to nap anywhere, etc., and I just want to have some kind of predictability as to his eating.

Yesterday, I met a friend from college for lunch. Stephanie and I weren't in the same sorority at Elon, but we were in a bunch of education classes together and I always thought she was the sweetest girl. She has the most beautiful daughter who is 5 1/2 months and we had such a great lunch. Stephanie told me that her baby took until about 3 months to get into a real routine and she just kind of fell into it... no books about eat time/wake time/ play time....BLAH. Just let the kid be a kid and it will all happen.

Let me tell you: this was JUST what I needed! In hind sight, I think all of these other mothers that were telling me about the different philosophies were just making me feel less and less adequate as a mother. I know they weren't doing that on purpose, but when you talk to someone and they are *shocked* that you don't have your baby on a routine at 9 weeks, how are you supposed to feel?

So, Stephanie, if you are reading this: THANK YOU!!!! I loved having lunch with you and meeting your sweet little angel. I can't wait until we can do it again so you can make me feel a little more normal :).

Sigh....it's getting easier every single day...... :)

1 comment:

Steph said...

OH CARRIE you are MORE than welcome!!!! You are doing everything just right and Cal is still just a little man, he will get all situated in his schedule before you know it!

You beat me to the punch for the lunch date blog post! :) Mine is coming up!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS