Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Championship Swim Meet and Banquet

July 18th was the Championship swim meet at Koury Natatorium (UNC's pool).  Andy decided not to swim, so Cal and I were up bright at early to get there by 6:30...! It was an early morning, for sure, but it is worth it!

 I took a picture like this one above last year too...maybe I will get one each year with him in front of this UNC sign.

Love this next picture-- champs is chaotic and stressful and loud and HOT...but it is also a lot of fun!!!


Cal swam hard-- he didn't do great in freestyle (hahha, he stopped mid lap and looked around...after the race I asked him what he was doing and he said he was looking for me! I told him to NOT look for me!). But he dropped 4 seconds in his backstroke so we were excited!

The coaches made a mistake in the relays assignments and Cal didn't get a relay for champs, which is totally no big deal.  Of course he wanted one, but he was fine with not having one.  Well, the morning of champs, a 7/8 year old boy was sick and couldn't swim...Cal swam up in two relays with 7 and 8 year old boys...! He did great-- except for the fact that he had to swim breast stroke in a medley relay and he can't swim breast very well....! But he swam his little heart out in that free relay! It was so fun to watch. 

Our team was told we placed THIRD, which we were all thrilled with! And then, we received notification that one swimmer's times were not entered accurately, and we actually got SECOND place!!! This was HUGE!!!

Sunday of that same weekend, we had the swim team banquet! The boys were dressed for the occasion...


I adore their smiles in this picture....I mean, seriously.... we were late getting there and I took this about as fast as I could get them to turn around...and I love it!

They started banquet with the head coach speaking and then each age group was brought up... here are the 6 and under boys! There's a LOT of them!

 I zoomedin to get Charlie, Andy and Cal...

Each age group got a coaches award, most valuable award, spirit award and most improved award. When the coach started talking about the most improved award, he said "this kid could barely swim at the start of the year...and I watched his first meet where it took him a minute and 35 seconds to swim a lap, but he did it, without a DQ!..." and I knew it was Andy....! He dropped 45 seconds (or something like that) off of his time from that first meet.  I was a proud momma!

With Coach Harrison after the banquet...

Really proud of him.  I have written on his a million and ten times about his struggles with overcoming this anxiety... he would cry and scream and be miserable.  The lessons in the "off season" tested my patience and made me want to never let him swim again.  He is improving.  And that is awesome.  What more could a mom want? He is really and truly enjoying it.  He went from the start of the season to crying his eyes out at every practice, to the end of the season, walking right over to the block and flying off into the water-- smiling the whole time.  


I love these two little swimmers and I could not be more proud of them for an outstanding swim season.  They make me a happy lady!



 

No comments:

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS