Friday, January 20, 2012

"miracle" might have been the wrong word

well, maybe I was a little overly excited in the last post.  Andy DID sleep through the night...but the following night he was up for his regular 3 am wake up call! DANG IT!  I let him cry for 2 hours (!!!), and then finally decided to go in.  Right when I went in he was on his tummy, fingers in mouth, about to fall back asleep on his own!  He heard the door creak open and he jumped up.  I was watching him on the video monitor, but I couldn't tell that he was almost asleep....shoot!

He was not soaked, however, when I went in, which makes me believe cutting back nursing him was the ticket.  He just wanted to kind of visit with me.  I changed him, just so he'd be dry, and then quickly nursed him and put him back down. 

Last night, I vowed to myself that he was going to cry it out.  I knew he was fine.  If I had only waited just a little bit longer, he would have done it the previous night. 

So, last night, right on cue, at 3:00am, Andy started talking/crying/screaming.  I refused to go in there.  I just laid in bed (hacking) watching him on the screen.  He put up a pretty good fight... cried for an hour and 45 minutes... but then he went to sleep!  WOOHOO! 

This seems so harsh, but I know he can do it... if you are reading this thinking I am an awful parent, please do not tell me.  Just keep that little tidbit to yourself.  We had to go through this with Cal and now he's a great sleeper.  It WILL be worth it. 

Just a few more nights.... I will survive..... I can do it.  Right??

1 comment:

Danita said...

You are not an awful parent, just the opposite!! Sometimes doing what is best for our kiddos is what is hardest for us- but you are exactly right- it will pay off in the end. He will become an independent sleeper and that is one amazing gift you are going to give him (and yourself!).

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS