Thursday, May 12, 2011

D.O.N.E.

That's it!

I am DONE with everything in the house! WOOHOOOOOO!

Painting: DONE
Carpeting: DONE
Countertops: DONE! (will post pic later!)
Sink installed: DONE
Boxes unpacked: DONE
Pictures hung: almost DONE!

We have been working like dogs around here and we can finally say we are settled in.  The very last box had a few pictures in it to be hung and I am taking care of those this afternoon during nap time, hopefully. 

There are still a few minor things that need to be done, but for the most part, we are very settled and very moved in.  No more big projects for a while-- phew! 

Oh, did I mention the water damage I did?  Our very first night in the house, I was bathing Cal and I sat on the bathtub.  I leaned over to wash him and there was a loose bolt on the toilet.  Water started leaking out, unbeknownst to me.  Eddie came in a while later and saw some water on the floor.  He tightened the loose bolt and we cleaned up the water and thought everything was done....wrong.  I was in the kitchen the next morning and we had about 6 HUGE water stains on our ceiling from where it had leaked down through the beams.  UGH!  My freshly painted house was tarnished! (cue the drama queen).  It ended up not being as big of a deal, but we do have to get the ceilings painted... just waiting on the painter to return my call... it seems it is taking him a while to get back to me.....grrrr.... I am more mad at myself for screwing it up!

Other than that and a few other small things, we are very settled.  And it feels great.  Really really really great.  I packed Andy's hospital bag yesterday, just so it's ready, just in case (although he isn't going to come early!!!), and I made a list of things to throw into my bag. 

I will continue to do housing posts, but they are going to be interspersed with posts about BABIES!!!

Before I end this post, I have to list my 10 MOST favorite things about this house:

1. all of the SPACE we have!
2. the garage (again, space!)
3. the neighbors-- so so so sweet! the ones directly next door have brought over brownies, roses from their garden, and fresh strawberries they picked that morning....seriously.
4. having a laundry room upstairs-- I do NOT miss hauling laundry up and down stairs
5. the attic- I could do an entire post on how large the attic is. It is really quite amazing
6. my closet.  it has become my happy place.
7. the yard! Cal and Hank LOVE to run and run and run!
8. having a vacuum cleaner upstairs and one down.  I was given another vacuum cleaner for mother's day (thanks, momma!) and it makes the world of a difference having one on each floor!  I actually vacuum everyday!  I do the upstairs one day and the down the next so I am able to stay on top of the vacuuming-- it's amazing the difference it makes with the dog hair! (yes, I realize this last one makes me sound so so old and so so like a lazy woman, but think of how much more you would run the vacuum if you didn't have to lug it UP and DOWN the stairs every time!  It's just so easy now!)
9. the screened in porch.  Cal plays out there the majority of the time we are home. All of his big push toys are out there and he is so content to play and just be outside
10. really, I love it all.  I never thought I would be THIS happy in a new house.  But I really really really am.  With the new paint and carpet, it feels like a new house-- like a brand new, never been lived in before house.  And I really could not be happier. Yes, moving is a total biotch, and moving when 9 months pregnant is anything but convenient, and having a toddler there "helping" is certainly challenging, but let me tell you: ALL of that, was so so so so so worth it for this house.....

2 comments:

The Geers said...

I can sense the sigh of relief in your voice (or words, whatever lol). I keep telling Ed that our next house HAS to have a screened in porch. Let me know once you get comfortable with the new dude and I am going to bring my babe over. He and Cal will have a good time now, I'm sure! xoxo

Abby M. Interiors said...

Carrie! I am so happy for you that this post makes me a bit teary! You have been working at lightning speed over there and Andy is going to come home to such a loving place. Congratulations!

We're still working on light, masonary (bleh-like I really want to pay to fix a chimney) so it feels like forever before we paint. Can't wait to see the rest of your pictures!
abby

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS